Monday, November 28, 2011

How do I position myself for retirement?

What is your picture of your retirement?  



If you have any question in your mind about what biblical retirement is to look like for you, I would recommend reading with a biblical world view filter (call me at 301.619.1875 W - if you are uncertain what I mean by that phrase) the supplementary book, "What Color is your Parachute for Retirement" which I found very helpful as it pointedly addresses the unique issues and challenges that we (and I stress we) as mid-50's + folks face as we position ourselves for retirement.  In our case, as Christians and devoted disciples of Jesus, positioning ourselves for fruitful work and service for what I believe are our best years to come....our years of what is typically called "retirement"...a word as you know that is not found in the bible   :)   .

I for example, based on some of the insight in the book, re-positioned myself 1 1/2 years ago to a less stressful, and less time consuming job.  The job still is very challenging and meets more than adequately the provisional needs of our family with the Army Corps of Engineers at Fort Detrick.  This was so I could intentionally invest more time with my wife in this new season of our life and with our teenage and young adult children and their spouses.  I also was sensing that I was to become more intentional in being available to "reach back" to younger folks in our church to help them work through issues related to career.  This resulted in the launching of  the new pastoral team initiative of the Vocational Gift Workshops  (VGWs) under Corby's oversight which many are currently attending.  

Since it started in June, I have crossed paths with over 40 folks as they have dropped in on a VGW to get support in navigating career issues and decisions before them.  The youngest has been a 9th grader in Covenant Life School...the oldest is 58. 

So for now,  this is how I have positioned myself for retirement...Lord willing, fully anticipating using my God-given gifts as a trained architectural engineer and design manager at Fort Detrick to support construction and renovation of bio-technology facilities for our nation's defense against terrorism...

....but in a less stressful environment that will allow me the time and energy to reach back and invest in the younger generation(s) of our church in any small way I can.

My question for you is, what has God called you to do in your golden years for his glory..and what steps are you taking now to prepare for maximum fruitfullness? 

Need some help brainstorming about the answer to the above question?  Begin to ask God about the future he has for you and you might want to consider checking out the book "What Color is Your Parachute for Retirement".    It is available  at  amazon.com:


And remember, the best is yet to come in your expression of gratefulness, love and devotion to God through gracious and gifted service of others....motivated by appreciation, not duty, for all we have in Christ as our Savior and Redeemer.

For the Audience of One's glory and our best good,

Art

No comments:

Post a Comment