Friday, March 2, 2012

Does public speaking terrify you?

If the idea of public speaking terrifies you, then consider joining a local Toastmasters group.  Their learn-by-doing workshops and meetings allow participants to hone their speaking in a no-pressure atmosphere. By participating in a local club, you will learn that by practicing enough, your confidence and personality will soon begin to shine through in all your public speaking.

To find a location Toastmasters group go to:
http://www.toastmasters.org/ 


For one person's reflection on 10 questions about their experience with Toastmaters, read on:


Dan Dougherty, ACB, ALB
Dan Dougherty, ACB, ALB
ShareThis

1. When and why did you join Toastmasters?
I was looking for a way to communicate better. As a student of economics, I specifically wanted to learn how to explain the workings of the U.S. Federal Reserve System and its ability to print money. On a friend’s recommendation, I visited the Professionally Speaking club (in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania) and joined in April of 2008.

2. What do you do for a living?
I am an epilepsy advocate and a volunteer for the Epilepsy Foundation of Eastern Pennsylvania.

3. How do you use communication skills in your daily life?
As a person with epilepsy, I use my skills to educate the public.
4. How have you grown as a communicator and leader since you joined Toastmasters?
I have become very comfortable in front of a crowd, and have learned to use body language and avoid filler words. As club president, I use the leadership skills I’ve gained in my work for the Epilepsy Foundation.

5. If someone asked you to give a presentation on short notice, how would you react?
I would accept the invitation and use my Table Topics™ skills to give the presentation. 

6. What do you like best about your club?
My club members are awesome at being very welcoming and supportive.

7. What have you done in Toastmasters to gain leadership experience?
I finished my Advanced Leader Bronze award and am serving as club president for the second year.

8. Now that you have come this far, what is your next step?
Complete the High Performance Leadership program for the benefit of the Epilepsy Foundation and finish my Advanced Communicator Silver award.

9. What surprised you the most about Toastmasters?
It is like going to school but more fun!

10. What is the most important thing you would tell your friends and family about Toastmasters?
Toastmasters is the only organization that allows individuals to reach their potential as communicators and leaders within a supportive environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment